Vote for Pima County to be Arizona's Greenest Workplace | Business
Everyone is invited to vote in this competition, and as an added bonus you can vote once a day until the deadline. The ultimate goal – to help Pima County to win the People’s Choice Award, in the third Annual Arizona’s Greenest Workplace Challenge.
The contest is hosted by Mrs. Green’s World, a website and internet radio program that was started by Tucsonan Gina Murphy-Darling. The ‘Greenest’ workplace will be selected by a panel of ‘green’ experts from across the state and announced on Mrs. Green’s World on November 2.
Pima County is just one of 14 nominees for People’s Choice Award, the winner of which will be announced on November 2.
The County had recently released a progress report on the fourth of its five-year Sustainability Action Plan for County Operations. This plan focuses on alternative fuel vehicles, green building, renewable energy and energy efficiency, as well as green purchasing, land conservation and management, waste reduction, water conservation and carbon foot print reduction.
It was during fiscal year 2011-2012, which ended on June 30, that Pima County made several increases to the sustainability and efficiency of its operations. These included:
- Reducing energy expenses by $1.5 million (10 percent) compared to the baseline year of 2008.
- Managing 3.6 megawatts of renewable energy, which represents about 7 percent of the County’s annual energy load and surpassed the 2012 target.
- Increasing the number of alternative fuel vehicles in the Sheriff’s Department’s fleet by 51 percent so they comprise 53 percent of the fleet.
- Increasing employee use of transportation modes other than single-occupant vehicles by 41 percent since 2010.
- Increasing the proportion of office supply dollars spent on eco-friendly products by 276 percent over the baseline year of 2008.
To see Pima County’s nomination for Arizona’s Greenest Workplace Challenge, please visit www.mrsgreensworld.com/contest/nominees/pima-county.
To vote, go to www.mrsgreensworld.com/contest/voting-form/.
Keep up with Pima County on Facebook at www.facebook.com/pimacountyarizona